How To Keep Black Widow Spiders Away From Your Deming Property
December 15, 2021 - Spiders
Black widow spiders are some of the most feared pests in Deming, and there are some good reasons to be afraid of these arachnids. While most spiders in Deming aren’t dangerous, the black widow spider does have potent enough venom to harm people. However, it’s actually only the females of the species that are able to hurt you. These males and juveniles are relatively harmless, although they can still bite.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to identify black widow spiders in Deming and get some tips on how to prevent and control them.
What Do Black Widows Look Like?
Most people know they can identify black widow spiders by their bright red hourglass marking on their underbellies. But, it’s actually only the females of the species that have this marking. This is useful as it does indicate to you which of these spiders are actually dangerous. If you don’t see the marking, you don’t have as much to worry about. That being said, seeing the males around means the females are probably nearby, too. Most black widows are a jet black color and have bulbous bodies.
Where Will You Find Black Widow Spiders?
Black widow spiders generally don’t want to encounter humans. They try to stay out of the way and usually prefer dark, cluttered areas. They often live in firewood and other wood piles outside, but they can occasionally make their way indoors, where they will be found in closets, garages, and dark corners.
Luckily, bites from black widow spiders are rare. And, even when the females bite, they don’t always inject venom. But, there is always some risk when these spiders are around. They will bite if they feel threatened, and if you’re bitten, you should seek medical attention right away.
Removing Active Black Widow Spider Infestations
If you already have black widow spiders around your property, don’t try to remove them on your own. The most effective and safest spider control in the area is with Snowden Exterminating. We can eradicate these spiders and also keep them from coming back by targeting their pest prey.
We provide ongoing residential pest control services that are reliable and safe for people and pets.
Effective Spider Prevention Tips
Overall, the best way to prevent future black widow problems is to practice good general pest prevention habits. These spiders are drawn into homes while hunting their prey, so having small insects around will bring back widows to your property.
Here are some specific steps you can take to prevent black widow spiders and their insect prey:
- Cover all trash cans with lids and take out the trash regularly.
- Deter spiders and their prey from getting indoors by sealing up holes in the walls and foundation, installing door sweeps and weather stripping, and repairing broken screens in doors and windows.
- Keep firewood and other woodpiles stored at least 30 feet away from the exterior of the building.
- Clear up clutter around the property and inside of the house. This includes organic debris, cardboard boxes, and other items.
- Wipe up food and drink spills immediately. Keep kitchens cleaned by doing dishes and sweeping and mopping floors. These steps can deter small insects.
- Get ongoing residential pest control help.
Learn more about protecting yourself and others from black widow spiders by giving Snowden Exterminating a call today.