What To Do If You Spot Black Widow Spiders Around Your Deming Home
December 15, 2022 - Spiders
If you’ve spotted black widow spiders around your Deming home, you might wonder how to remove this pest before accidentally receiving a bite. Fortunately, Deming pest control experts can help you remove black widows and all other types of spiders invading your property.
Black Widow Spiders Are Fairly Easy To Identify
While there are many species of spiders around the Deming area, black widow spiders are one of the easier species to identify. This arachnid is on the smaller side, growing to approximately one and a half inches long, and they have a two-segmented body with a small head and a larger, bulbous body. Black widow spiders are uniformly shiny and black and have a distinctive red hourglass marking on their abdomen. Males of this species are typically smaller than one and a half inches, and not all males will have the red hourglass marking, while most female black widows will possess it.
Black Widow Spider Bites Can Lead To Serious Medical Problems
Black widow spiders are one of a few in the United States that are considered medically dangerous. The bites from this spider can lead to serious medical problems. They may even be fatal if a bite is received by children, the elderly, or those with preexisting medical conditions.
Symptoms of a black widow bite include:
- Severe pain, burning, swelling, or redness around the bitten area
- Nausea, vomiting, or dizziness
- Extreme abdominal pain or abdominal cramps
- Tremors, weakness, or loss of the ability to move
- Muscle stiffness, soreness, or joint pain
- Rash, itching, or swollen eyelids
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
If you believe you have received a bite from a black widow, or if you have trouble breathing or swallowing after any spider bite, seek medical attention immediately.
Factors That Attract Black Widow Spiders In And Around Your Home
Several factors can attract black widows and all kinds of spiders to your home; it’s essential to understand these factors to reduce and remove them where possible. Reduction of these factors is one of the best ways to get rid of spiders naturally:
- Secluded areas for web building are the main attractant for black widow spiders. Cluttered interior areas, disorganized garages and basements, and storage areas with lots of boxes and dark, untouched spaces can easily draw this pest inside.
- In exterior areas, black widow spiders are drawn to rocks, untouched and overgrown plants, and wood piles, making for accessible hiding spaces to create their webs.
- Pest prey around your property, such as an infestation of ants or beetles, tends to draw in hungry black widows looking for an easy, consistent food source. You can eliminate pest prey with prevention tactics and assistance from Snowden Exterminating.
Remember that if you see black widows or their webs around your property, you should avoid interacting with this pest. Always sweep away spider webs with caution, and if you aren’t sure whether or not black widows are the culprit of your spider infestation, leave this process to the professionals.
How To Safely Get Rid Of A Black Widow Spider Problem
To safely get rid of spiders and ensure that black widows aren’t threatening your property, your first step is to contact Snowden Exterminating. Our team can help identify your main black widow problem areas and safely remove this pest so that there’s no chance of you or those you care about being bitten. Trust our team to eliminate black widows and contact Snowden Exterminating today.